Friday, September 05, 2008

Warriors playoff hopes on Knife edge


Well its been a big week for the Warriors. I managed to watch a replay of some of their great win over the Panthers on Setanta this week. A couple of things struck me.
One was how most of the team have great beards. When did this trend emerge? I had a pretty good beard rocking for a while this year and it makes me think that unintentionally I may have been displaying my unity with the boys.

The other thing that struck me was that Wade Mac has a psycho streak. This is emphasised by the beard. I have to say I like it. The guy is clearly a quality player and his ban for alleged spitting is unfortunate, he brings an edge to the Warriors that they have been missing, he just needs to avoid the pitfalls of the sporting pyscho edge - when the red mist descends someone has to keep him in line to avoid any Rooney-esque dismissals/bans. His ban will be be over by the time next season rolls around so I am not too worried.

Anyway the game vs the Eels shapes up as a screamer with the Warriors actually favourites away despite the absence of WadeMac. I couldn't resist jumping on the bandwagon at the TAB for Warriors to win by less than 12, about the most marginal bet I have made in a while.

Knights were well beaten by Broncoes Friday night so based on my understanding of the table that means a win for the Warriors should put them at least in eighth and maybe seventh. While playoff qualification at that level is better than not making it all but its basically instant death at the hands of either of the top two in an away qualifying final. But who can complain while the season is still alive. Lets go and do it!

No comments: